The earliest inhabitants of the Granger Township were
the prehistoric Native Americans known as the Mound Builders. Granger
is believed to have even had 2 mounds. Much later, those from the
Seneca, Ottawa, Iroquois, or Wyandot tribes came to Granger. They
seemed only to have passed
through while hunting, but many of their arrowheads have been found by residents.
Granger was part of the Connecticut Western Reserve. In 1795 the state
sold the area to the Connecticut Land Company, a group of 36 investors.
The investors drew lots to see who would own which lots. Oliver
Phelps drew Granger, as well as many other lots in northeastern Ohio.
When Phelps died in 1809, he had debts to Gideon Granger. To settle the
debts, his land holdings were transferred to Gideon.
In 1817 Gideon Granger sold the northwest part of the township to Henry
Remsen, and the remainder to Anthony Low, Elizur Hills, James Ganyard,
and Burt Codding, all of the Canandaigua area of New York. The Hills,
Lows, Ganyards, and Coddings brought their families to settle Granger,
sold parcels to other settlers as well. The area owned by Remsen was
held in trust for his daughter’s children, so it was not settled
In 1820 Granger officially became a township, and the name Granger was
chosen by vote as an honor to Gideon Granger, the previous owner, a
legislator in Connecticut, and also Postmaster General under Jefferson.
A few months later, Granger held its first election. The first town
built in the early 1820s. Other work accomplished by the early settlers
included clearing the virgin timber, preparing farm fields, and
building homes, roads, schools, churches, and businesses.
From these beginnings, Granger grew to be the township we love today.